David B. Willis has spent most of his legal career representing privately-held companies. David’s practice focuses on providing legal services to investors, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and small businesses. While everyone’s needs are different, his approach remains the same – to bring every client a personalized plan to help them manage their legal risks and solve their legal problems. David understands the unique issues facing private companies and small businesses not just because of his legal experience, but also because he is an entrepreneur and business owner himself. He believes that clients should be able to receive competent, efficient, and flexible legal services for a reasonable fee.
Below are representative matters in which David served as lead counsel:
- Served as general counsel to several companies advising on corporate, contract, employment, and real estate matters.
- Represented client in TWC Rule 13 hearing successfully overturning prior adverse unemployment tax determination.
- Represented business owner in buyout of interests in 4 related software development, integration, and consulting companies.
- Counseled client on development of base SAAS platform and optional integration of multiple add-on modules including issues such as third-party contracting, licensing, security requirements, regulatory compliance and development of form contracts for end-users.
- Represented client in due diligence and acquisition of software company with multi-generation software assets for content management, CRM, inventory, and payment processing software.
- Represented client in dispute with competitor over employee “poaching” and enforcement of non-competition provisions against former employee.
- Advised client in negotiation of multiple service contracts with several national industry leading companies.
- Represented client in dispute regarding the dissolution of a business relationship and defense of attempt to enforce non-competition provision.
- Represented client in purchase of partnership assets.
- Represented former business owner against business creditors seeking collection of personal assets for business debts.
- Represented national retail and manufacturing company in stock redemption.
- Represented client in winding up and termination of retail business.
- Advised client on employment agreements, policies and procedures, implementation of health benefits plan, and other employment issues.
- Represented real estate investment partnership in disputing various liens filed against properties.
David represented individuals and companies in a broad range of industries including oil & gas, technology, manufacturing, software development, and retail. Below is a list of representative industries:
- oil & gas
- software development
- professional services
David was born and raised in Richardson, Texas prior to attending college at the University of Texas in Austin where he was very active in the University community. While at the University, David served as President of the Longhorn Off-Road Club and played lacrosse for the University of Texas Lacrosse Team.
Upon graduation, David attended law school at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he excelled in the areas of litigation and business law. David graduated from law school with honors in 2006.
After graduating from law school, David returned to Houston, Texas, where he opened his practice and married his college sweetheart, Courtney. In 2012, Courtney and David welcomed their son, Colton, and in 2015 their daughter, Sloan. In 2015, David relocated his practice to Tyler.
In his free time, David enjoys running, fishing, and hunting as well as any other opportunity that comes along to get outside and enjoy life with his family. David has run the East Texas half marathon in Nacogdoches as well as the Fresh 15k in Tyler.
Business Ownership – Is it for You? An interview for Fiscal Notes, a publication by the Texas Comptroller’s Office
Follow David on Twitter: @David_B_Willis
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D. cum laude
University of Texas at Austin, B.A. Government